United Christian Church of Detroit celebrates over 80 years of loving God and serving the world community.
On Sunday, October 4, 1936, our founding minister, Dr. Robert L. Jordan, Sr. gathered with Mrs. Mary Curis, Miss Minnie Lee Moore, J.S. Johnson, Ulysses Moore, Mrs. Johneva Saunders, Mrs. Lelia and Owen Burbridge to explore the possibilities of establishing a Black Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Detroit.
Within four month, thirty-five members were added to the membership bringing the charter roll to forty-three. On Sunday, February 28, 1937, in a rented building that was located at 5358 Lovett Street, this group was organized as Lovett Street Christian Church, the first Black Christian Church in Detroit.
In January 1939 to fulfill a need for ownership a house at 5631 Thirtieth Street was purchased. The structure was refurbished and became a cozy church with a warm friendly atmosphere. Before moving into the building, the congregation’s name was changed to United Christian Church of Detroit (Disciples of Christ). A facility at Sixteenth Street and West Forest was purchased in 1946.
Dr. Robert L. Jordan retired in 1973. Dr. Robert L. Jordan, Sr. (pastor emeritus) passed away in 1998. Reverend LaMar Clark accepted the role of senior pastor and served until 1992.
In May 1984, the congregation voted to relocate and purchased the building in which we now worship, 19510 West Chicago Boulevard. The members literally marched into the new church building on September 16, 1984. The mortgage was paid on March 23, 1994 and the mortgage burning ceremony was held on September 18, 1994.
United was without a Senior Pastor from 1992 to 1995. We owed a debt of gratitude to the Elder Board and the officers of the congregation for keeping our congregation focused and on target. The word of God continued to flow from the pulpit as we continued on our Christian journey. We also owed a debt of gratitude to Messiah Missionary Baptist Church who helped by lending their associate ministers.
Here’s a listing of the pastors who have served our congregation: